Hmm. I'm thinking that even if the laptop's in a protective sleeve,
repeated bumping is still a bad thing. I thought that if the strap
attaching the saddlesack to the seatpost were tight enough, there'd be no
bumping, but it seems I was wrong, eh? Now that I look more closely at the
photos on the Riv site, it does seem as if that strap is too high on the
bag to keep anything in the very bottom from swinging back and forth a
little.

I might be with CoconutBill here in thinking that a pannier is perhaps a
more stable place for a laptop. It's just that that would require me to get
a rear rack *as well as* a pannier. I'm trying to keep costs reasonable
here.

I'm also starting to wonder whether an M-12 rack + basket might be a good
option. It'll be similar to the porteur rack setup but with two possibly
significant differences: 1) it'll be a little lighter than the porteur
rack, and 2) it'll bring the load back a little toward the headtube. I
believe that both of these differences are good in terms of steering
quality, no?

Lastly, it occurred to me that some of the unwieldiness might be due to the
shape of the stem on the bike (a high-rise, "dirt drop" model). Maybe
switching out the stem for a Technomic would help things in that regard?
I'm lucky enough to have a 100mm one lying around.

Andre