-- I detest synthetics. All I've ever owned (and that's a lot from when I
was 14 and began backpacking in earnest and when I wised up at 35. Wow, 16
years of stupidity) hold scents through washings (and that's before my
disability and ultra sensitivity to -- and we're talking stink, not just
soap perfume and such). They are just plain bulky for their warmth and they
do not move well with me. Blech. That said, I've never tried primaloft, so
I'm no help to you there. I do know folks who swear by the stuff, Wiggy's
being one of them and his gear is for high altitude alpining. Synthetics
melt, wool doesn't (though it singes if held to the fire). Sparks from a
campfire have turned may a fleece garment of mine into pox-marked swiss
cheese as parts got turned back into milk-bottle-plastic. Never had that
problem with wool.

New synthetic insulation such as primaloft is much better than the older
stuff.

Ibex now offers jackets and vests with wool insulation.  Apparently very
good warm to weight ratio but there are complaints about the zippers.
 Won't be getting it at LL Bean and REI prices though.

I otherwise concur with your approach.  I wear layers topped with a wind
breaker throughout the (not as cold as they used to be) northern Midwestern
winters.