Jim-

Yes, the bottom bracket is pretty low; Grant's right on that one.  I should
measure it some time.  I have 170 crank arms and the (quite low profile)
campus pedals scrape rarely when I pedal while leaned way into a turn.
Yes, Tektro R556 brakes have the perfect reach.

But the ability to ride fast and comfortable 650x38B tires and mount
fenders outweighs the occasional pedal scar.  I rarely pedal in corners
anyway.

This bike has evolved into a rambler, a light tourer, ace commuter, library
runner, and farmer's market basket.  I have a gofast steel racer for when
I'm feeling speedy.  The Riv is for riding for the pleasure of riding.
It's versatile, sexy, and fast.

Tim Gavin