I don't commute, but I do ride at those temps. 20˚F is right on the edge of
needing a full on jacket for me. Depending on wind, I"m fine with wool long
johns, a cotton wind shirt (work shirt from RIv), and their Wooly Warm
Sargent's sweater (with gloves, hat, socks, shoes). At 20˚F, the roads here
may be wet or have black ice or be powered/packed snow, all depending on
sun and wind, so fenders are a big plus. My recommendation is to start off
dressed to wear what you know you'll warm up to. It's just easier that way.

With abandon,
Patrick