Dead-on. I had the unfortunate chance to make my commute more than 10 miles
when I got home Tuesday night and realized at the steps I left my keys in
the lock I leave on the rack at work, so I had to do a second round trip.

My hands go into mitts below freezing. More shared air inside the
insulation and less surface area to cool. I had my transitional temp gloves
and by the time I got home I was in the early frostbite range (cold blast
brought snow, daytime high of 34° and wind). Merino middle weight crew top,
early '90s Patagonia Gore Windstopper vest, wool skull cap, rain cover over
my helmet to close the holes, old TNF Velo jacket which is a shell that
turns the wind, some spray, but mostly is very breathable so I never soak
in the condensate in it. Been trying a pair of fleece-lined waterproof
booties from Pearl Izumi over my usual cleated shoes (knee repair that
impaired proprioception; foot floats off & away from platform pedals).

Most importantly, a new pair of pants made of Shoeller fabric as Matthew J
recommends. I have a pair of 3/4 pants from Chrome I really like because of
that fabric.  REI made a pair of long pants sold as "Acme" pants. Only a
lone XXL pair remain locally, so I bit the bullet and got a pair of
in-season Mammut Traileika pants. Fantastic! No need to wear insulation
beneath yet. Turns light water, wind and with a leg band no drafts.

Tuesday's glove error corrected Wednesday morning by my trusty OR mitts.
Sometimes in the winter months I will add some extra distance to my ride
home because once tuned to the specific climate and response with clothing,
I can go for miles and miles while staying comfortable. Too late and too
long a day Wednesday to wander off path though.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh