That's a fun and quick fender stay method, Tom.

My Riv Road has no plate, and only a small drain hole on the chainstay
bridge.  I used a rubber covered P-clamp and a long bolt to span the gap
(you filled the gap with a cork, nice).  The long bolt allowed me to fine
tune the fender arc.

I can get  a picture later if you want it, Jim.  Very nice bike.  The cream
longboards look fantastic with the Riv head tube and decals.