When I made the switch from drop bars to Albas, I wanted to leave as much bar
space as possible  available for hand positions. That meant using reverse brake
levers and bar-end shifters mounted on Paul Thumbies located out on the curve.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/34156114@N05/5954025945/

In use, however, I found that I wanted to have my hands on the front curves
while climbing or descending.  I have replaced the Albatross bars with
porter-style handlebars, with road brake levers mounted out front. Once again,
this leaves the most room for my hand positions.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/34156114@N05/9146262436/

Cheers,
Tom Matchak
Glen, NH