I just HAVE to chime in:  I have a reverse pull Shimano derailleur on my Bleriot BUT a standard pull Shimano derailleur on my Bike Friday.  I switch between them by (literally) talking to myself about the change when I get on the bike.  And I don't make wrong shifts on either bike.

On the other hand, when I ride the Bleriot for a few rides and then switch to my bike with brifters, I do reach for the bar end shifters instead of the brifters, even with my hands on the hoods.

So - TAKE THAT  :)
Joan

(This has been explained to SP previously)