Hey Bill, You can also use crank shorteners to ride with the kids on
the tandem. My short-legged 9 yr old son uses crank shorteners now.
My daughter can't use them yet.

I have a Santana 26" cro-moly tandem. Wonderful bike with thousands of
miles with the kids. (I also have a 700c triplet bike that I use with
both kids.)  I haven't ridden as much on the tandem/triplet because my
kids like to ride on their own bike now...

Toshi