I just eye ball it, If it looks straight it probably is.

Sheldon Brown has a great article on measuring
chainline<http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html>.

If the chainline is off it doesn't rattle, it just makes some noise but it
has to be really off to do this. Typically 8/9 speed chains are quite
flexible side to side so you have lots of leeway.

These are the things that I would check.
Is your track cog 3/32 to match your chain.
If using a spacer kit is everything tight and snug including the lock ring.
Some spacer kits are better than others. I tend to like the ones that use a
bunch of spacers in different sizes so that you can mix and match to get
the lock ring on tight.
Check to see if the chain has enough lube.
You might want to eliminate the derailleur by using a half link in the
chain, sometimes you get lucky.

One product I really like  is the Surly single speed cogs. They have a wide
base at the cassette. They are just better cogs than the stamped steel you
usually get with a spacer kit.

Hope you figure out what the sound is.