+1 for gore-tex hikers.  The lighter-weight ones are just dressed up
sneakers, and will last you about as long.  Quality boots are generally
heavier, but can last forever.  Like a Rivendell.

I wear my Belleville gore-tex combat boots when it's cold & rainy.  I was
issued 3 different pair, so that's the "cheap & easy" solution for me.  But
they may be found at surplus stores, usually for less than most other
gore-tex hiking boots.  And all US gear is MUSA.

Another MUSA option:  Red Wing boots (you can filter their website by
country of origin!).  I have a pair of 953's I've had for 20 years (I'm 36,
so my entire adult life) that are almost as comfortable as sneakers.  Any
quality leather boot can be made reasonably waterproof with enough
Newbaum's, or silicone creme.  The current Chukka or Moc Toe boots could
make great all-rounder shoes for wet weather.  Think of them as Brooks,
fenders, and Marathons for your feet.  :)  (Red Wing owns Irish Setter and
Vasque as well)