I think there are several good lights available. And good lights are
expensive. I've been very happy with a Cygolite that I got on closeout.
I'll add my concurrence with the recommendation to use a helmet light in
addition to a stem mounted light.

I've seen lots of cool things riding around Mt Diablo at night. Skunks act
as if they own the place, and I'm not going to argue with them. There is
also a Night of the Toads and a Night of the Milliipedes (not at the same
time) when very large members of those species wander across the trail
every 100 yards or so. You know a millipede is big when you can see it with
a bike light at night.

jim m
wc ca