Kevin M. Randall wrote:
We who are blessed with most of the latest technology money can buy
need to
remember to think outside of our own immediate surroundings and
experience.

Although the idea of RDA in PDF may sound good, there are some problems:

1) if it were produced as a full document looking like the drafts we
have seen, it would be about 1200-1500 pages in length. Without some
serious navigation tools (which is what the online system is providing)
it would be very difficult to use on a screen, and would be clearly
unusable printed out on individual sheets of paper

2) there is not a full draft in PDF -- the latter part of the document
is being created directly in the online system. So it's not just a
matter of putting  together the PDFs that exist and putting them online.
An entire new document would have to be created (thus incurring costs
for the publisher)

Now that RDA is a machine-readable document, I can imagine many useful
products based on RDA -- there could be an RDA core document, simplified
RDA, RDA for music catalogers, RDA for video catalogers, RDA for
manuscripts. Online they could integrate with cataloging interfaces, in
print they could be used for reference by anyone interested in
cataloging. I can imagine a slice 'n dice print on demand customization.
All of this should be technically possible, and I believe that the
technology should allow these to be produced at a low cost. However,
there is the bigger picture of ALA publishing, and the  economics of the
whole RDA process. I think that ends up being the deciding factor.

kc

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net