Quoting Weinheimer Jim <j.weinhei...@aur.edu>:

I have no doubt that experienced catalogers can learn RDA. After all, the final product is not all that different from what we do now. The problem for experienced catalogers is to master a new set of tools that are very expensive in comparison to what we had before. Catalogers can learn to deal with all of this, of course. The question is: are the (so-called) advantages worth the disadvantages? Is the final product worth the cost, especially in these exceedingly difficult economic times?

I was on a panel last week with Chris Cronin from U Chicago libraries where he spoke about their experience using RDA. He was asked about cost and his answer was that there were not added costs. In fact, the library cataloged the same number of items during the time of the test (and they did them ALL in RDA) even though the catalogers had to fill out a survey for every item they cataloged. (Chris is undoubtedly on this list, or his staff are, so please correct me if I get any of this wrong.)

We can each have our own opinions (I haven't made my own much of a secret) but when it comes down to it, there is going to have to be an answer: is it worth the cost? And the answer will be very simple: either Yes or No. How many of our CFOs will say yes?

No one should say yes or no without information to back it up (we are an information profession, after all). The report on the testing will probably answer these questions about how hard it is to learn RDA and what it costs to catalog in RDA. Meanwhile, speculation without facts isn't terribly useful. I think about how much of the time used up in this debate couldn't have been better spent gathering actual information.

kc

No matter what some may think, RDA is not unstoppable and can be checked at many points along the way, as I am sure it will be. As a result, one of the unavoidable consequences of RDA, whether people like it or not, will be a split in the library metadata community.

We have seen promises and presentations with incredible graphics that have made me gasp for breath, but I have found it all very short on specifics. For example: where is the money supposed to come from for this training? What are libraries supposed to give up? Or, are libraries expected to get additional funding for all of it? (Ha!) Also, more than anything else, I think it's clear that catalogers need help: substantial help, Is there any hard evidence (other than anecdotal) that anybody outside of libraries (and especially Anglo-American libraries) are going to switch over to RDA when they never did with AACR2?

James L. Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu
First Thus: http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/

--
Karen Coyle