On 8/5/11 at 2:16 PM, Karen Coyle wrote in part:

"But the fact is that we can only work  with the data we have in our
bibliographic records regardless of what data *possibilities* there are in the
MARC record. I believe this is indisputable."

I like this.  I just hope that this indisputable fact begins to register with
the admin folk who make budget and staffing decisions - - often, it seems to
me, they ignore the simple fact that if no one creates metadata, then the shiny
"discovery" interface only appears to be aiding our patrons because it's built
over a shallow/poor resource.  We should talk much less (in other professional
areas) about baseline/standard records and more about enriched and quality
records.

Daniel

--

Daniel CannCasciato
Head of Cataloging

"We offer solid services that people need, and we do so wearing sensible
shoes." -- MT