[It appears that my recent message was empty when sent. I apoligize. What I
attempted to send follows]
On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:05:14 +0100, Bernhard Eversberg <e...@biblio.tu-bs.de>
wrote:

>07.11.2011 10:55, Jim Weinheimer:
>> What then
>> will be the purpose of ISO2709 except one: to transfer a catalog record
>> from one library catalog to another?
>>
>I know of no other purpose. But be that as it may, my point is that
>even for this function, it is no longer technically necessary.
>For all intents and purposes, MARC may live on forever without
>the need to deal with ISO2709. It is technically obsolete, but we
>need not care.
>Can anyone please prove me fundamentally wrong, or confirm what I say?

According to my small experiences in the years before I used modern library
systems, when I was trying to extract data from MARC files (e.g. to carry out
authority control in systems that didn't have authority modules, before
proceeding to print catalogue cards), raw MARC data in communications format
was a beast, and I wasn't nearly programmer enough to write routines to
deconstruct it!

However, once I began to see how competent systems handled MARC, it became
plain that what they were doing was basically to create a matrix and populate
it with the tag values, the indicator values, and the subfield data prefixed by
the subfield code.  Then the indexing routines read the matrix (not the raw
MARC ISO2709 data) and distributed the data into the appropriate areas of the
system's internal table structure.  From those tables, I was able, when
required, to obtain what I wanted by direct query on the appropriate part of
the database. When it was necessary to export a single MARC record, a group of
them, or indeed the whole database, the system had routines which reversed the
process (and, last of all, counted the number of characters in order to fill in
the record length element of the MARC leader). This was extremely burdensome to
programmers who came to the game in the 1990s and had no background in early
data processing, chiefly of text rather than numbers, but in its time it was
pure genius. Nowadays it's a very special niche, and the foreignness to
programmers and designers of the processes involved probably plays a part in
keeping us from having really good cataloguing modules and public catalogues;
and I can understand the frustration entailed for those who expect to
interrogate a database directly.

Bear in mind, though, that using a modern cataloguing module (Horizon is the
one I'm most familiar with), I can search for a record on a remote system, e.g.
the LC catalog, through Z39.50, and have the record on my screen, in editable
form, in a second or two, indistinguishable from a record in the local
database. The system's internal routines download the record in MARC format
(ISO 2709, hated by Jim) and build the matrix which feeds the screen display.

The success of these operations depends on the consistency of the records
available. The complexities arise from the complexities in the data we work
with, the consistency of our markup (recorded in MARC tags and subfields, a
number of which are very specific and don't occur very often, but are applied
to specific purposes when they occur, e.g. 254) and sometimes the
inconsistency, as when we don't distinguish parallel tiles or alternative
titles from other title elements. Those inconsistencies are not so much caused
by MARC, certainly not by MARC in ISO2709 format; they result from the belief
that specific codes for those elements cannot be created because the coding
structure is already full; which is only half true.

Now, if what you want is a data storage which can be queried and reprocessed
directly, without going through conversions to and from ISO2709, that's
something to discuss in its own right; but the tools to translate data between
ISO2709 and tabular form do exist, and they operate "on the fly" within their
own systems.  For working outside a library system, MarcEdit is one commonly
used; for querying specific bibliographic elements it's far from simple.

But even Voyager, the ILS providing LC's catalog, supports searches within
specific MARC fields and subfields of the LC bibliographic database.

Maybe the problem is that there's no universal bibliographic database that
isn't MARC-based? And therefore one has to deal with MARC with its
inconsistencies and idiosyncracies? I have no solution to that problem; the
weight of our history is a considerable obstacle when it comes to trying to do
something different.

Hal Cain, who acknowledges his knowledge is incomplete and liable to correction
Melbourne, Australia
hegc...@gmail.com