From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Akerman, Laura
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 2:00 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Offlist reactions to the LC Bibliographic Framework
statement

I'm posting this to the BIBFRAME list as well since it seemed relevant...

To me, the original "main entry" concept could more usefully be thought about
in a larger context of  "for any field that is repeatable in a set of
bibliographic description fields, is it useful to be able to designate one such
fields as "primary" for purposes of selection for display, categorization
(where a particular application requires one to "select one box" to
characterize a resource) or other functionalities?  If so, should the
designation be stored with the field, or separately from it?

Other MARC approaches that serve that function include choice of "format"
(which one goes in Leader byte 6, which one gets reflected in an 006, when a
resource has characteristics of two "formats"?).

For fields like subject, I believe there was a convention that the most
important subject (the one upon which the primary classification number was
based) had the first position in the record.   Since many modern systems permit
or even force re-ordering tags in numerical order, that positional value can
and often is easily lost.  Many of us stopped lamenting this a long time ago,
but was it valuable?

What I don't think is valuable, is having to pick one author of a work with
multiple authors and designate that person as the "main" one, based on the
almost arbitrary factor of position of the name on the title page, (which is
often alphabetical), and ending up deeming this person "Creator" and relegating
the other author(s) to "Contributor" status.  (Nor do I think that dichotomy is
particularly useful.)

Laura

Laura Akerman
Technology and Metadata Librarian