Quoting John Attig <jx...@psu.edu>:

On 11/9/2011 2:43 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:
If we truly move into an entity-relationship model for our data, . . .

You could equally have same "if we truly move into a linked-data model for our data". My understanding is that an indispensable piece of any linked data specification is the predicate -- which is the relationship designator turned into a verb.

Yes, I think that for this discussion this is true. There are differences, like: E-R doesn't require the use of identifiers, but LD does. FRBR defines an E-R model, which is kind of a precursor to linked data, and at this date, linked data is the direction folks are going in.

On the other hand, you don't have to use the most specific relationship designator available. I suspect that many will be satisfied with "creator" and "contributor" and avoid being more specific. Because there are well-defined hierarchies, this difference in granularity shouldn't be an obstacle to interoperability.

I agree. The RDA definition of "contributor" is:

"A person, family, or corporate body contributing to the realization of a work through an expression. Contributors include editors, translators, arrangers of music, performers, etc. " (from the registry, not the toolkit text)

So use of this term depends entirely on its acceptance as part of the RDA standard, and the development of "best practices" as we go forward.

There are many levels of granularity, such as:

1. Contributor
1.1 Composer (Expression)
1.11 Composer of Music for Silent Film (Expression)
1.11 Composer of Music for Sound Film (Expression)

I don't know if RDA gives any advice about moving up and down the granularity tree when assigning roles, but presumably few data producers are expected to provide the lowest level of detail.

Note that in the registry[1] the hierarchy of roles is coded although it isn't easily visible (we need a good visualization, to say the least) but every Composer (Expression) is a Contributor, and by inference so are the ones marked 1.11, so it should be correct to use "Contributor" for all of these. Communities should be able to provide the level of granularity that they find useful, and others can treat the data with less (but not more) granularity if they so wish.

kc
[1] http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/list/schema_id/4.html

        John

--