>I just don't understand why the creators of RDA feel that it's necessary to
>make original catalogers do *more* instead of less when nearly all of us are
>supposed to get more done with fewer catalogers.

Possibly because many of the creators of RDA don't actually do a lot of filling
out of cataloging records. To many, what we do when we populate records is just
typing. Their focus is more on the use of the records and other aspects of what
might be characterized as the intellectual part of the work. Unfortunately, in
many cases, local administrators share this view, so adding tasks that may be
mischaracterized as detail work doesn't enter into thoughts and requirements as
to output.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.