One difference in RDA is that if the artist is secondary to the author of the
text, the artist is still considered a "creator" of the work, even though the
writer of the text is given prominence in the authorized access point for the
work.

In MARC, there is only the awkward split between 100 and 700 fields, with
optional added relationship designators, to distinguish roles and
relationships. Dumping the artist in a 700 field, amongst other names which are
connected to the expression or manifestation, is one thing that makes MARC less
amenable to the type of display and relationship structures used in many data
systems.

In RDA, there can be several creators or other persons associated with the work
specifically designated as such. Only one creator can be used in the formation
of an authorized access point (barring the alternative in RDA 6.27.1.3 which
allows for all creators to be included as part of the authorized access point
for the work). But RDA is written around the idea that the authorized access
point for a work (aka "main entry") is only one of many ways to identify a
work, and so a switch in thinking is required in moving from worrying about the
right main entry (and creating implicit, seemingly arbitrary, or hard to
discern relationships) to thinking of the right kind of relationships to make
in a thorough and exacting way first, with the main entry decision as a
follow-up only, so as to maintain compatibility in those systems that rely
heavily on the main entry.

Basically RDA separates out the process of establishing relationships from the
process of creating an authorized access point for the work. Future displays
may be able to make use of that distinction and the information in RDA records
to prioritize certain elements, such as the designator "artist", to suit the
needs of users more precisely.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library