From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 5:37 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Some comments on the Final Report of the FRBR Working
Group on Aggregates

Bernhard Eversberg wrote:

> You may contemplate any number of models that go beyond this, as this
> thread amply testifies, but I seriously doubt any such approach will
> be an economic use of resources. Economy dictates that we use what we
> have more extensively and in better ways.
> Sure, it is nice to have a complete theory, as it is fine to have a
> Theory of Everything for the elementary particles, but that's largely
> for the textbooks!

I think Bernhard is absolutely right in stressing that a whole lot of
information is already there and should be made better use of (actually that
has been one of my own mantras for some years now).

But I still believe it would be more than just "nice" to have a sound
underlying theoretical framework. This may, of course, only be due to my being
a lecturer and therefore a potential writer of textbooks...

In my dreams the theoretical framework would not be some highbrow model,
completely separate from real life cataloging, but rather something that would
really help with cataloging, give us ideas as how to present our existing data,
open up new ways of using them, and giving hints to possible improvements and
further developments.

Indeed quite often we may find that something which looks "new" and
frighteningly difficult in the theoretical model may turn out to be something
for which a real life equivalent is already there in actual cataloging. So it
may often turn out that people are, in fact, familiar with it already, but just
haven't thought of it in that way. But making us aware of that would (or at
least, could) be more than simple giving a modern and technical sounding name
to something well-known. It might make us view it in a new, wider context. I'm
not sure whether I managed to make myself clear...

For those of you, who are still following the details of modeling
aggregates: I've done some more thinking on my "alternative model" and now
propose two small additions to it.

1. The title of the "part works" should be different from the title of the
corresponding individual work, and include the title of the aggregate work.
E.g. the title of a "part work" could be something like "Pride and prejudice
(Best loved novels)". This would make it possible to distinguish easily both
between the individual work and the corresponding "part work" and also between
several "part works"
corresponding to the same individual work, but belonging to different aggregate
works.

2. There should be a relationship between an individual work and its
corresponding "part work". For want of a better name let's call it an
"individual/aggregate relationship" (the definition would roughly be:
the relationship between an individual work and the corresponding work as part
of an aggregate work). This would make it possible to start with the aggregate
work, go to one of its parts and, from there, directly to the corresponding
individual work, which has links to _all_ expressions (whereas the "part work"
only has links to the expressions really used in the aggregate work).

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.