Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>:

I think you need to just create an identifier for the manifestation or expression that doesn't yet exist (if it doesn't), and make the relationship M-M to E-E. The 'extra' M or E you created doens't need to have any other metadata recorded about it -- just it's M/E relationship, and the whole/part relationship you want to record.

I need to diagram this.

So now you have a WE with an empty M. Let's say

W title: Some Essay
  author: John Smith

E (expresses that W)
  language: English

M1 (empty) --> part of -- M2
M3 title: Some Essay by John Smith (this one is stand-alone)

M2 title: Essays on whatever

When someone retrieves that W using the title, the system would display all of the M1-3 information. It would find no M1 title, but would display the relevant data from M2, the containing item. (Bonus question: could M3 ever be part of another M? Given that M's are publications, I would say "no." An M can include E's, but not other M's, except perhaps in the case of "bound with.")

I don't think that M1 would ever be filled in. That manifestation of the essay is in fact non-existent as a stand-alone entity.

I believe this is exactly the kind of thing that Heilbrun is attempting to structure with her models, only her models create a "part" at a work and expression level that are expressly parts. However, they are equivalent to the initial W and E here, their coding as parts is just more specific.

But now the 'extra' M or E is identified in case someone later DOES want to assert things about it.

Are there problems with this approach? Whether or not M/E 'contained in' relationships might conceivably be conceptually logical, a model is just a model, in the end. If the FRBR model says make 'contained in' relatinoships only M-M or E-E (or conceivably W-W) -- what are the actual practical or theoretical problems, if any, of just doing so, creating identifiers for intermediate M's or E's as neccesary? I think there are some benefits to this approach, in clarity and parsimony.

I honestly can't think it through far enough to know if this creates problems in a large data store. We keep postulating individual "records" while the fact is that this will take place on a catalog-level scale. That's the part that's hard to think through. but I think you've got a testable hypothesis, Jonathan.

kc

Jonathan

If you want to say that Essay1 is a part of ManifestationX, and you want the whole/part aspect to be clear, that is different from a structural relationship using "embodied." For this to be a manifestation-to-manifestation whole/part, then you need a manifestation for Essay1. But say there isn't a separate manifestation for Essay1, and it doesn't seem to make sense to say that Essay1 in ManifestationX is a part of ManifestationX. What one seems to want to be able to say is that the Expression of Essay1 is manifested in ManifestationX as a *part* of ManifestationX.

If you can see a way out of this one, shout it out!

kc

- Barbara Tillett