Because there are many-to-many relationships that are horizontal as well as the
many-to-many primary relationship unique to expressions and manifestations.

For the case of the aggregating expression, going over it again ...

An expression may be embodied in a manifestation. That expression could be
accompanied by other expressions embodied in the same manifestation. That's a
vertical many-to-one scenario-- expression(s) to manifestation. One doesn't
need a special whole/part relationship for this, because the primary
relationship (a vertical relationship) establishes this.

The resulting aggregating expression has whole-part relationships to each
constituent expression. That's a horizontal many-to-one scenario. That
aggregating expression also has vertical relationship to the manifestation. It
could have another vertical relationship to another manifestation (an
e-resource version of a print publication for example). The two types of
relationships (horizontal and vertical) are like check-off lists for all the
possible bibliographic relationships.

Going further ...

That original single expression may also have been published in a >>different
set<< of expressions in another manifestation (creating a different aggregating
expression). That original expression may have other structural or content
relationships to yet other expressions (different horizontal relationships,
such as 'adaptation of' or 'revised as' or 'translation of'). More many-to-many
relationships are being fulfilled.

That original expression could also be published in different manifestations
(different vertical relationships -- now we're in that vertical many-to-many
territory). But that original expression will only ever "realize" one and only
work (and inherit its attributes). So horizontally and vertically, that
original expression can have multiple relationships, except upwards to the one
work that it realizes.

From a display point of view, there are a lot of variables to consider.

In browse lists currently, analytical title entries are confusing. In author
browses, name-title headings juxtapose with the titles found under the author's
name. Title browses can be a bit better, but the nature of the relationship of
one title to another is not clear until each record is examined in more detail.
Keyword searches will bring up brief record displays where the analytical
titles in the Content notes or added entries are obscured.

The LibraryThing approach is what I favor -- have a web page for each entity,
and populate that web page with all the attributes and relationships associated
with that entity. If it's the work, show the available expressions (and
manifestations), but also show the horizontal structural and content
relationships, so one can navigate both vertically and horizontally. There is
some redundancy in navigating horizontally to the aggregating work and then
down to the same manifestation, but then one would be able to see all the other
associated works in the aggregating work, and explore outwards from them.

Smarter systems may even highlight these kinds of whole-part and vertical
relationships, and perhaps go beyond LibraryThing by tackling manifestation and
item records. In my system, availability information at the item level already
influences screen display-- the user is directed to the available copies first.
Our NoveList widget alerts users to similar titles based upon presence in the
catalog (this is at the manifestation level). If all the FRBR relationships
were present, the system could alert the presence of associated works at the
highest level and direct users to particular combinations of relationships,
with appropriate deduplication. (Some of the FRBR-lite utilities like
LibraryThing for Libraries already do some of this).

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library