Quoting Casey A Mullin <cmul...@stanford.edu>:

(I'm ignoring the aggregate w/e here, as it's not useful to identify)

Actually, we might need it.

m1 (novel published with preface)
    Title proper: Bend sinister
    embodies e1 (novel in English)
        realizes w1
           Preferred title: Bend sinister
    embodies e2 (preface in English)
        realizes w2
           Preferred title: [Title given or devised title]

This doesn't seem devilish to me at all. Am I missing something?

Casey, What will you display to the user? Assume that display has to be algorithmic (it's going to be done by dumb machines), so you have to follow rules for display (e.g. always display work title And Expression title And Manifestation title... or whatever you think your rules will be.) Create those rules, and display something like:

1.
Voyna i Mir (Work title)
Title of expression: War and Peace
Manifestation title: War and Peace, by Tolstoy, with an essay by Jane Smith.
  date: 2007

includes

2.
Essay by Jane Smith, Those crazy Russians. 1958.

3. (separate case but in the same database)

work title: Tolstoy's War and Peace (a book about the work)
  creator: Professor John
  Expression title: Tolsoy's War and Peace
  Manifestation title: Tolstoy's War and Peace
    date: 2008

***

I think you are assuming that the display will be:

Work title:
  Expression title:
     Manifestation title:

So in the case of the essay in the book, its Work title would substitute for the Manifestation title. I'm not convinced that's a valid assumption, but it's worth trying out.

(btw, although YOU might not create an expression title that is the same as the work title, unless we discover that that is illegal in FRBR then you cannot assume that someone has not done it.)

kc

Does this clarify what I'm getting at, or are we still talking past each other? ;)

Casey

--
Casey A. Mullin
Discovery Metadata Librarian

--

"Those who need structured and granular data and the precise retrieval that results from it to carry out research and scholarship may constitute an elite minority rather than most of the people of the world (sadly), but that talented and intelligent minority is an important one for the cultural and technological advancement of humanity. It is even possible that if we did a better job of providing access to such data, we might enable the enlargement of that minority."
-Martha Yee

--
Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net