James said:

>I agree that simply adding the code to a person for the role
>information (actor, editor, etc.) is not that much extra work for the
>cataloger (most of the time!) ...

Relator $e is repeating in MARC21, so I assume we would have two $e as
opposed to two 700s for a writer/director.

I suspect there will be variation, just as there will be variation
between repeating $a in 33X, and repeating 33X.

There is another problem I have not seen addressed.  Back when SLC was
producing microfiche and print catalogues, titles were alphabetically
after the person's name.  The relation of the person to the second and
later titles often differed from the relation to the first.  We had to
eliminate $e.  It seems the same problem would apply to OPAC displays.

Major OPAC development is needed before relator terms can be helpful.

I can see a patron selecting those titles with the relationship
desired from a hitlist.  I so not see patrons including the
relationship term in a search.i