Hi, Thomas, James, and all:

Thanks a billion again for the brilliant discussions that you shared to the
list.

I agreed with Thomas at the highest level of abstraction it is as simple as
entity, attribute, and relationship.  To make it extensible, we need to add
scheme to let apps and people know which vocabulary it comes from.  To make
it categorically friendly, we add classification scheme.  To make
it discover-able, we add URI, etc.

As far as I am concerned, to make Geo-code, postal code, etc. linked to
NARs if in USMARC Authority, we just need to add GeoName record identifier.

For instance, the geographic name heading for Perth (W.A.) has LCCN
permanent link http://lccn.loc.gov/n79011231, whose geographic coordinates
are designated in 034 field.  All we need to do is to add subfield $0 to
034 field with $2 geonames.

If so, the 034 field in USMARC for authority will be like the following:

034  ##$d E1154960 $eE1154960 $fS0315560 $gS0315560 $0 (GeoNameId)2063523$2
geonames
043  ##$a u-at-we
151  ##$a Perth (W.A.)
670  ##$a GeoNames, algorithmically matched, 2009 $b(...)
670  ##$a GeoNameId, geo-location map identifier matched from geonames.org,
2012$b (GeoNameId:2063523)
883  0#$81\p$82\p$uhttp://www.geonames.org/2063523/perth.html
$c0.80$d20120926$qGeoNames.org$0(GeoNameId)2063523

For more info, please check the following:
http://www.geonames.org/2063523/perth.html
http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad034.html
http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad883.html

OCLC WorldCat registry and its related Knowledge bases are the ideal place
to register web service updates from geonames.org.  I would hope that LC
NARs, and others would subscribe to the OCLC web service updates, and have
the option to handle the updates synchronously and asynchronously.

Thanks again!

--
Amanda Xu

Apprentice to Information Artistry & IT Librarian for Collection Management
Still In Progress
P.O. Box 650295
Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
axu...@gmail.com (personal email)