How about using the $k subfield instead?

Here is the current MARC definition of this subfield in the 245:

$k - Form
Term that is descriptive of the form of the described materials,
determined by an examination of their physical character, subject of
their intellectual content, or the order of information within them
(e.g., daybooks, diaries, directories, journals, memoranda, etc.).

245     10$aFour years at Yale :$kdiaries,$f1903 Sept. 16-1907 Oct. 5.
245     00$aPL 17 Hearing Files$kCase Files$f1974$pDistrict 6$hmicrofilm
(jacketted in fiche).
245     14$aThe charity ball :$ba comedy in four acts
:$ktypescript,$f1889 /$cby David Belasco and Henry C. DeMille.

Those who feel the 336-338 triad combinations are insufficient to
convey the nature of a resource (we have this issue with
three-dimensional objects and with manuscripts) might find the $k
subfield in the 245 more hospitable to this type of information. Of
course, this would necessitate changes to RDA, but the revision process
is ongoing.

Liz O'Keefe

Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems
The Morgan Library & Museum
225 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10016-3405

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 212-768-5680
NET: eoke...@themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library’s comprehensive collections catalog, now
on
the web at
http://corsair.themorgan.org

>>> "Kelleher, Martin" <mart...@liverpool.ac.uk> 10/23/2012 5:05 AM

"Transcribed information in transcribed fields" only? I can't see the
point of it either, if it makes the nature of that which you're
examining more obscure.....

Hear hear to reviving GMDs!

A missed opportunity in RDA was the potential rejigging of GMD into
something more user friendly - instead, we end up with just the
opposite, it's removal and replacement with a clutter of significantly
less user-friendly codified record cloggers (the 330s).

The original GMD terms ARE unwieldy. What we've done for years is
combine carrier and content in fairly well known terms, such as:

DVD video
DVD audio
DVD-ROM
Audio CD
Video CD
CD-ROM
Videocassette
Audiocassette

Shocking, I know, but I suspect it helps people to figure out what
we've got more than the 330s will......

Too late now?

Martin Kelleher
Electronic Resources/Bibliographic Services Librarian
University of Liverpool