Or, you can just keep it locally, which is what we plan to do.

When staff have a patron standing in front of them, or on the phone, seeking
help, they use the #h [gmd] description to quickly distinguish which type of
material is wanted by the patron.  That is supposed to be the basis of the
entire FRBR/RDA changeover.

If I told them they had to read 336, 337 and 338 to determine item type,
especially once I showed them the terms used ("oh yes and and 'unmediated text'
is a book") they would troop down to Tech Services en masse and ask me if I had
lost my mind.

In the OPAC, III's field 30 Mat Type generates an a very specific icon, so we
are okay there.  We are currently suppressing the 3xxs in the public display.
They take up too much room in the display because of where they fall, and they
convey no useful information to searchers.

Kathleen F. Lamantia, MLIS
Technical Services Librarian
Stark County District Library
715 Market Avenue North
Canton, OH 44702
330-458-2723
klaman...@starklibrary.org
Inspiring Ideas ∙ Enriching Lives ∙ Creating Community