Thomas said:

>How about not jamming unrelated data into a single element to drive
>display needs.

The GMD has its own MARC21 subfield, thus not "jammed". It is where it
is needed a early warning, as suggested by Margaret Mann (her example
was literary genre when not clear from the title).

>There are SEVERAL data elements to choose from and to work with.

If one has a ILS capable of such.  We are creating a great divide
among libraries.

>Each RDA Content and Carrier term is built out of subordinate
>elements in the RDA-ONIX Framework.

Some equipment has content (e-readers, e-players, lap-tops, etc.) for
which the RDA content terms work (text, performed music, computer
program).  A microfiche reader lacks content, so a null value is
needed.

Since equipment is used directly, the term fits quite well under
"unmediated".  It is certainly more exact than "object" or "other".

Yes, SMD (aka unit name) might serve as early warning.  Perhaps in
nuMARC it might have it's own distinct subfield code, so that it could
be mapped to after title proper,r or at head of other data (as
suggested by ISBD Area 0), if one has an ILS which can do that.