"To make a parallel between Clint Eastwood and Ox Eckhardt, your desire to find
out that Ox Eckhardt hit .371 in 1932 for the Mission Reds to win the Pacific
Coast League batting title would be akin to finding out that Clint Eastwood
took "x" number of days to direct the film UNFORGIVEN, or worked "y" number of
dollars on his role in THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.  Just like the case with
Eckhardt, these facts about Eastwood--whether or not anyone finds them
interesting or important--are bibliographically insignificant.  They would not
belong in the OPAC."

If you frame it that way, sure, but if my curiosity about the PCL batting
titles in the 1930s related to a sabremetric study of batting averages across
the minor leagues during a time when the major league batting averages were at
alltime highs, it might still be trivia to Clint Eastwood fans, but not to
baseball statisticians.

"I think most catalogers would have no trouble seeing this line."

Of course you do.

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.