Patricia,

Is your Ex-Libris catalog Voyager or Aleph? We have Voyager, which
allows you to generate punctuation between subfields. If it is Voyager,
I can point you to instructions on generating punctuation. If it is
Aleph, I leave it to other Aleph users.

Elizabeth O'Keefe

Elizabeth O'Keefe
Director of Collection Information Systems
The Morgan Library & Museum
225 Madison Avenue
New York, NY  10016-3405

TEL: 212 590-0380
FAX: 212-768-5680
NET: eoke...@themorgan.org

Visit CORSAIR, the Library’s comprehensive collections catalog, now
on
the web at
http://corsair.themorgan.org

>>> "FOGLER, PATRICIA A GS-11 USAF AETC AUL/LTSC"
<patricia.fog...@us.af.mil> 2/22/2013 9:01 AM >>>
I am trying to make a local decision on the 502 for our catalog in
preparation for RDA training.   I remember some discussions on this
topic a month and 2 ago & am hoping to hear that someone has come up
with a good solution since.

We would like to start coding the 502 subfields, but as best we can
tell, our catalog, Ex Libris, is not able to generate punctuation that
is not in the catalog record. Our public services librarians would very
much like to retain as close to our current standard thesis note as
possible.

I understand (or assume at least there is) the assumption that systems
will eventually be able to add the desired punctuation to this note. But
what I do not understand about the RDA admonition to remove punctuation
from the 502 in particular, is how local systems are handling this
currently.

Under AACR2, a sample free text 502 reads:
‡a Thesis (M. of Military Art and Science (General Studies))--U.S. Army
Command and General Staff College, 2012.
        Which of course generates this display:
Thesis (M. of Military Art and Science (General Studies))--U.S. Army
Command and General Staff College, 2012.

The closest we can get to this, with RDA coding is:

‡b M. of Military Art and Science ‡g General Studies ‡c U.S. Army
Command and General Staff College ‡d 2012.

        With a helpful system-generated label, we get:

Dissertation Note: Master of Military Art and Science General Studies
U.S. Army Command and General Staff College 2012.

Are other libraries just accepting this?  Continuing with the |a free
text field & full punctuation?  Adding punctuation to the subfields?  Is
there some other option I've not though of?

It seems a shame not to start coding this field for our local theses
especially as we start working with RDA, but I'm not liking the options
I feel I have here to bring to my colleagues.

I'd be interested in what other libraries that catalog a lot of
dissertations are doing with their 502s.
Thanks.

//SIGNED//
Patricia Fogler
Chief, Cataloging Section  (AUL/LTSC)
Muir S. Fairchild Research Information Center
DSN 493-2135   Comm (334) 953-2135