In RDA, each of the bits you described is actually a separate element, which is why the separate subfielding in MARC is needed, so that you can actually record the RDA elements called for.

7.9.2 Academic Degree
7.9.3 Granting Institution or Faculty
7.9.4 Year Granted

That being said, the LC-PCC Policy Statement for 7.9.1.3 that says "Record the sub-elements related to dissertation or thesis information as described in RDA in the appropriate subfield of MARC field 502, without AACR2-style punctuation between the sub-elements" is going to be labeled as "LC practice". The PCC policy will be to leave the method for recording this information to cataloger judgment.

We haven't yet decided how we will record dissertation notes, but I suspect we will follow LC.

Adam Schiff

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900 Seattle, WA 98195-2900
(206) 543-8409 (206) 685-8782 fax
asch...@u.washington.edu http://faculty.washington.edu/~aschiff ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~