Even printed theses by computer have always been considered unpublished manuscripts rather than published textual monographs, so I am not sure that it matters if one has a printout from the computer file or a digital image of the file contents. Theses are produced in one or a very few number of copies, without editorial review or peer review in the same way that published monographs are made. I just see digital theses as analogous to their print equivalents.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries