19.03.2013 21:58, J. McRee Elrod:

Theses are produced in one or a very few number of copies, without editorial
review or peer review in the same way
that published monographs are made.

..
For consistency we should consider electronic theses as published.
That print ones are not is a fiction, considering printouts from the
online version.

More generally, we might reconsider the concept of "publication" and
define it as "anything fit for public reception".

And then, why not get rid of the rather pompous yet less than intuitive
term "resource" in favor of the newly extended version of "publication"?
(Or is it commonplace now that "resource" is correctly understood and
taken for granted by the catalog-using public?)

B.Eversberg