JSC Secretary wrote:

The last paragraph of 2.4.2.3 says:

"If not all statements of responsibility appearing on the source or sources of information are being recorded, give preference to those identifying creators of the intellectual or artistic content. In case of doubt, record the first statement."

I've been wondering: Which statement would be core in the case of an edited collection, when you have one statement naming the editors and another one naming the people who have contributed?

My gut feeling is that the editors are more important here, so in my opinion the statement naming them should be the "core" one. But on the other hand you could certainly say that it's the people who contributed who are the creators of the intellectual or artistic content (even if each of them is only the creator of his or her article). Then again, you might argue that you're in doubt and resort to taking the first one as core (in most cases, this will be the statement naming the editors). So you'd have come full circle ;-)

Mind, I assume that most people would record both statements anyway (as I would), so this is perhaps only a philosophical question. Still, I'd like to get my rules clear on this point.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.