LC PCC PS for 1.7.1 addresses this, here:

http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=lcpschp1
<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=lcpschp1&target=lcps1-229#lcps
1-229> &target=lcps1-229#lcps1-229

Under 2b) for bib records, it says:

When subfield $i for relationship designator is used, it is the first
subfield, the first word is capitalized, and the subfield ends with a colon.

EXAMPLE

700 1# $iLibretto based on (work):$aShakespeare,
William,$d1564-1616.$tOthello.

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.