Heidrun,

I believe the code in 008/35-37 and the code in subfield $a of 041 (and
probably most of the other 041 subfields, except $h) do qualify as legitimate
ways to record language of expression under 6.11.1.3. We are told to "record
the language or languages of the expression using an appropriate term or terms
in a language preferred by the agency creating the data" and the agency could
say its preference is to record the language as a code. In fact that is exactly
how we record language of expression under PCC practice in an expression
authority record (language code in 377). So I don't believe that 6.11.1.3 only
allows recording the information in "natural language".

I also agree that 041 $h gives exactly the same information as the "Translated
from" note (at least the very general one we've been discussing), but the
reason I think (or thought--see the next paragraph) in this case that the code
is non-RDA is because of the definitions of structured and unstructured
description in 24.4.3, which is pretty clearly given in terms of natural
language (structured description: "a full or partial description of the related
resource using the same data that would be recorded in RDA elements for a
description of that related resource"; unstructured description: "a full or
partial description of the related resource written as a sentence or
paragraph"). I suppose this could be remedied by tweaking the definition of
structured description -- codes in 041 seem pretty "structured" to me.

Alternately it could be argued that "the same data that would be recorded in
RDA elements for ... the related resource" could in fact apply to the code in
041 $h: if the element we're talking about is the language of expression
element, and we've agreed (as seen above in the first paragraph) that in the
description of the related resource (that is the description of the French
original, whether that description is a bibliographic record or an authority
record for the expression) the language of expression element can be recorded
as a code in bibliographic 041 $a (or the code in 008/35-37), or in an
authority record it can be recorded as a code in 377, then under the definition
of structured description it can be recorded as a code in 041 $h in the
bibliographic record for the translation. Under this argument the code is in
fact a structured description of that particular element and thus is not a
non-RDA element. I think I've convinced myself. How about you? :-)

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

"We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to
the course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.