I'm rather unsure about what the title and statement of responsibility area should look like if there is both a formal name of the conference and a specific title of a conference on the preferred source of information.

Let's consider the following example (which I've translated from German to English; in German it reads "100. Deutscher Bibliothekartag in Berlin 2011" and "Bibliotheken für die Zukunft - Zukunft für die Bibliotheken"). The t.p. looks like this:

-------------------

100th CONFERENCE OF GERMAN LIBRARIANS
IN BERLIN 2011

LIBRARIES FOR THE FUTURE -
FUTURE FOR THE LIBRARIES
[this is printed slightly smaller than the name of the conference above, but still in capitals]

edited by
Ulrich Hohoff and Daniela Luelfing

----------------------

According to the German cataloging rules RAK, the name of the conference here would be given as a statement of responsibility, i.e. (in ISBD):

Libraries for the future - future for the libraries / 100th Conference of German Librarians ; edited by Ulrich Hohoff and Daniela Lülfing

Note that for RAK, it doesn't matter which of the statements is most prominent and in which order the statements are presented on the t.p. - you would always take the specific title of the conference as title proper and the name of the conference as s-o-r.

How would this case be treated according to the Anglo-American tradition? In WorldCat, I've found my example with the name of the conference as other title information, like this (again, I'm using the translated version):

Libraries for the future - future for the libraries : 100th Conference of German Librarians / edited by Ulrich Hohoff and Daniela Lülfing

Looking at LC's catalog, I've found no less than three different ways of handling similar cases - with the name of the conference either given as title proper, as other title information, or as a statement of responsibility. Examples:

In http://lccn.loc.gov/98209348 (where the t.p. should look quite similar to the one in my example), the name of the conference has been given as the title proper, and the specific title of the conference (From Gutenberg to the internet) is given as other title information.

In http://lccn.loc.gov/97152273, the specific title of the conference is given as title proper and first part of other title information (The new library : claim and reality), and the the name of the conference (31st Conference of Austrian Librarians Innsbruck 2011) has been treated as a second bit of other title information. I imagine this is due to the layout of the t.p., which gives prominence to the specific title. Have a look at the cover here:
http://www.univie.ac.at/voeb/publikationen/schriften-der-voeb/band-11-die-neue-bibliothek/

But I've also come across examples where the name of the conference is treated as a statement of responsibility, e.g. in another of the Austrian Librarians' conferences:
http://lccn.loc.gov/99185606

So I wonder: Is this a matter of cataloger's judgment, triggered mainly by the presentation and layout of the preferred source of information? Or is there some deeper rule which I haven't worked out yet?

Personally, I think that it would make sense to give the name of the conference as a statement of responsibility: The congress is seen as the creator of the work according to RDA 19.2.1.1.1, and a statement of responsibility is defined as "a statement relating to the identification and/or function of any persons, families, or corporate bodies responsible for the creation of, or contributing to the realization of, the intellectual or artistic content of a resource".

As always: Many thanks for your help!

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.