There is a difference between content type and illustrative content.
Content type is at a higher level. It refers to the way a work (an idea) is
realized. It could be text, still image, and so forth. I would say that it
actually refers to the major content, the fundamental form a work is
communicated. Certainly it is not limited to one type (one fundamental
form).

I do not think that the definition for illustrative content in RDA is
correct. Illustrative content actually only apply to textual content. I do
not think that illustrative content would apply to other content, such as
still image, sound, or moving image content. Also, illustrations may not be
the primary content. When we put "portraits" in $b of 300 field, it does
not mean that this book is primarily composed of portraits.

For text books, when we put illustrations in $b of 300 field, an assumption
has been there. The assumption is that the content type is text. I believe
that we would see at least one illustration in most books. So we put 336
still image for most books? I do not think that it is correct.

When we put chiefly illustrations in 500 note, the major content (still)
seems to be text. A work is express by text with "many" illustrations :-)
In such a case, the writer (if there is one) would be in 100 field, and the
illustrator (if there is one) would be in 700 field.

For picture books like comic books, I think that we will put still image in
336 field. But I do not think that there is a necessity for "chiefly
illustrations". In such a case, the artist (if there is one) would be in
100 field. Is that right?

Any more clarification is appreciated.

Thanks
Joan Wang