From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] on behalf of Adam L. Schiff
[asch...@u.washington.edu]
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 7:55 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Punctuation at end of 250 field

Hi all, I've got a question regarding ending punctuation in the 250 field.
RDA D.1.2.1 indicates that in ISBD display, an full stop would be added
after an edition statement, even if the statement ends in an abbreviation:

3rd ed.. --
not
3rd ed. --

LC-PCC Policy Statement for 1.7.1 says: "If either field 245 or 250 does
not end in a period, add one."

Am I correct in my thinking that the implication of this policy statement
is that if an edition statement ends in an abbreviation, a second period
would NOT be added?  In other words, which of the following is expected in
a PCC record?:

250 ## $a 3rd ed..
   or
250 ## $a 3rd ed.

[Note: the examples are predicated on the abbreviation being found and
transcribed as is from the resource].

Thanks,

Adam

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^