By way of background, the "double punctuation" was made a part of the ISBD a
few years ago in order to accommodate systems that automatically supply
prescribed punctuation between areas of description.  It was felt that it
easier to do this than expect an algorithm to examine the field and decide if
the period was part of the data, as in an abbreviation, before adding the
period, space, dash, space or just a space, dash, space.  In other words, they
wanted to make it so that the systems that were adding the punctuation were not
"wrong."  (Some of these systems are more faithful to ISBD display in their
public catalogs than the North American systems I am familiar with.)  I see no
reason for human catalogers to create double punctuation, and LC-PCC PS for
1.7.1 doesn't call for it either.  I suppose one could argue that someone
examining an ISBD description in a language with which they were totally
unfamiliar would not know if a string of letters followed by a single period at
the end of an area was an abbreviation or not, but at least in this part of the
world, we're not going to worry about that.

John Hostage
Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger //
Harvard Library--Information and Technical Services //
Langdell Hall 194 //
Cambridge, MA 02138
host...@law.harvard.edu
+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)