There is a handy diagram, Barbara Tillett's Family of Works that shows the
categories for works and expressions, and where the cataloging conventions have
put the boundary between new works and new expressions.

For a working link, there is page 2 of
http://www.frbr.org/files/denton-frbr-talk-handout.pdf

The decision of the cut-off for new expression and new work has various
dependencies. The main entry concept, reborn as the authorized access point for
the work, is dependent on determining responsibility for the work. That
identifier for the work remains the same for all expressions of that work.
Subject relationships are typically defined at the work level.

There has also been the idea of 'superworks' which draws in adaptations. I
think such concepts can be handled on the fly by grouping works via the
relationship designators. For example, a relevancy ranking in a search result
could elevate "adaptation of" or even the whole category of derivative work
relationships over other categories (even if those derivative works don't have
the keyword used in the search). Displays of search results or within
individual records could be co-ordinated around the categories of relationships
(derivative, descriptive, whole-part, accompanying, sequential). Such an
approach is dependent on underlying relationships being made and links
established throughout, vertically from work to expression to manifestation to
item, and horizontally at each of those levels. I see a lot of rich
functionality at the manifestation-item relationship, where availability and
location information at the item level can be embedded within the brief display
at the manifestation level. It would be great if that consistent functionality
could be extended into the other areas of the catalog data through rigorous
relationship structures.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library