Ian Fairclough <ifairclough43...@yahoo.com<mailto:ifairclough43...@yahoo.com>>
wrote:
>I see nothing under 7.10 Summarization of the Content to comment on the
>advisability of including a summary that is in another >language than that of
>the cataloging agency, nor in the LC-PCC PS.

Mark K. Ehlert responded:
>RDA 5.4, last paragraph: "Record the descriptive attributes of a work or
>expression covered in chapter 7 in a language
>and script preferred by the agency creating the data."

On the other hand, you'll have to admit it would be a courtesy to potential
readers of the item to include a summary in the language of the item-it would
certainly be a discourtesy to delete it if someone has contributed it. I know
many of our patrons are less than fluent in speaking or reading English, even
though they can figure out how to use the catalog. I generally try to include
bilingual summaries where possible, i.e. in languages I can handle. I've also
seen some real howlers generate by Google Translate or Babelfish that were
clearly not vetted by a native speaker-now that's a discourtesy.

Misha Schutt
Lead Cataloger
Burbank (Calif.) Public Library
(818) 238-5570