From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Kevin M Randall
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:02 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Use of "stereo" for description of compact discs

Technically, a CD made according to Red Book specifications is probably most
often going to be "stereo" in that it has data assigned to both left and right
channels.  But if it's just a mono track being duplicated in those channels,
then that really wouldn't be "stereo" as far as what the RDA element is
describing.  If the labelling doesn't say, you'd probably have to listen to the
recording or look at the audio waveforms, I guess.  Probably safest to leave
that element blank if you can't determine it for sure.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
k...@northwestern.edu<mailto:k...@northwestern.edu>