Why are you repeating your egregious misinterpretation of FRBR? FRBR is not
Find-Identify-Select-Obtain by author, title, subject headings.

If I "select" a book because it won the Booker Prize then I am engaging in one
of the FRBR user tasks. The user tasks apply to the entire spectrum of
attributes and relationships-- not just the ones found and implemented in
traditional catalogs through the heading structure. In addition, the
entity-relationship model can be applied to many other data systems used in
libraries. For example, the circulation module in my system is a feature-rich
implementation of entity-relationship principles that if anything showcases how
much the potential of the data locked in AACR2-MARC records lies untapped.

In addition, the other user tasks in FRAD and FRSAD will likely be incorporated
into a single Functional Requirements model, and these altogether will apply to
bibliographic "data" of all kinds and not just "records." The last "R" of FRBR
will be replaced by a "D" for data, as it already has in FRAD and FRSAD. The
user tasks apply to every single entity, every single attribute or bit of data,
and every single relationship (even those not implemented in traditional
catalogs).

It is so remarkable that these basic facts are glaringly absent in your posts,
and yet not surprising since many of your cited sources are to your own blog
posts and podcasts.

For example, in emphasizing the power of free text searching in your blog post,
why would not that same power be brought to bear on the topic at hand--
retrospective conversion?

If the technology is so "incredible" then how is it that some problems are then
so insurmountable that we should give up?

>From you blog post -- "it is the reliance on alphabetical order that has
>become obsolete in our new environment" indicates that your interpretation of
>FRBR is incorrect as FRBR and RDA are not just repeating the alphabetical
>structure of traditional catalogs. Notably in RDA, the instructions for
>authorized access points (the equivalent to headings) are relegated to
>second-class citizen status by being put at the back of chapters, after
>discrete data elements are covered (with the expectation that these discrete
>data elements, along with new forms of controlled identifiers which are always
>emphasized first in RDA, will become the primary operative pieces in catalogs
>in the future).

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library

To unsubscribe from RDA-L send an e-mail to the following address from the
address you are subscribed under to:
lists...@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
In the body of the message:
SIGNOFF RDA-L