Question -

We use rdiff (not rdiff-backup) to do our incremental file backups.

We do:

   1. Copy the file to a staging area (so the file won't disappear or be
   modified while we work on it)
   2. Hash the original file, and computes an rdiff signature (used for
   delta differencing)
   3. Comput an rdiff delta difference (if we have no prior version, this
   step is skipped)
   4. Compress & encrypt the resulting delta difference

Our problem is all of these things happen in separate phases, distinctly one
from the other.  This means it takes a long time to do its job.  What I am
wondering is if rdiff-backup does all of these things in one read/write file
pass in a streaming manner, or if it simply calls to the standard rdiff.exe
(which isn't working for us)?  I didn't quite see information concerning
this in the docs or wiki.  We have considered using xdelta (because it
operates in a streaming manner) but the problem with xdelta is that it
stores double copies of the deltas and kills storage space.  Any help on
this matter would be great!

Thanks,
Mark Price