Actually it does matter to me. I do not want to rely on a chain of reverse
diffs to reconstruct important files. My concern is that a disk error could
render reconstruction impossible. I would like every version to remain as a
self-contained snapshot. So, I want to use compression and snapshots only.

The documentation says that earlier states of files can be saved as copies
or diffs. However there does not appear to be a run-time option to create
copies. I looked at the python code in increment.py and it does not seem to
have an option to create copies for regular files.

Is there a way to force rdiff-backup to always create copies of earlier file
versions?

Thanks much!