that's a good idea to use -v5, however in my use case i have lots of small
files and a few very large files.

google search suggestions seems to indicate that it's a feature that many
people are looking for.

i don't think it's very difficult to implement this, just a matter of doing
an initial list of all files, tallying their file sizes, then comparing
this list to what's already in the backup (for missing/changed files, etc.)

the \r escape sequence (carriage return) should work on all posix platforms
to reset the cursor to the beginning of the line.