Hello Adam,

When using the SSH proxy command this following message "Fatal Error:
Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)" is
generated by SSH. Usually this gets printed when the box doesn't allow ssh
tunnel.

On the bastion server, You should review your /etc/ssh/sshd_config and make
sure you have "AllowTcpForwarding yes".

After that, you may create a file in ~/.ssh/config

Host <hostname-behind-bastion>
  ProxyCommand ssh -q -A -x <bastion-hostname> -W <ip-behind-bastion>:22

I invite you to test the configuration by calling ssh manually first, to
make sure the ssh configuration is working, before trying to test it with
rdiff-backup.

--
IKUS Software inc.
https://www.ikus-soft.com/