Hello Erik and Dominic.  Thanks very much for the suggestions.  I'll most
likely try the 4 directory rotation suggestion.  That was my first idea as
well but thought there might be a simpler way.

Dominic - restoring from these is something relatively frequent (2 - 3
times per month) and is often used as an investigative tool to see what the
state of things was at a particular time.  For that reason, waiting 30+
minutes to restore the snapshot and then another 30 - 40 minutes to restore
the dump can be really cumbersome.  I guess this would all be a faster if
the files were on an SSD but for now we'll have to live with things as they
are.

Erik - Can you elaborate on rsync?  I use rsync all the time for other
needs such as keeping a mirror and in the past I've used a technique with
hard links to make incremental backups of a directory tree.  But I'm not
sure how this could be accomplished where a single large sql dump is
concerned.

Thanks.